12.28.2008

reflections on a mr. button

Tonight we went to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I absolutely loved this movie. It was a beautiful and tragic celebration of life and it made me think about a million different things.

In the movie Benjamin meets many people that are only there for a short time and stand as a snapshot in his life. They are there for a moment but that moment is only captured and sustained through his memories of them. Sitting in the semi-dark theater with good friends on either side of me I began to wonder about my life…

As Benjamin continues through his life he does many and varied things. Meeting people he will love deeply, who leave a lasting impression; and others who were there for a moment but won’t be forgotten. Each of these people helps to shape his story. This is true of myself. The people that I’ve known, interacted with and lived with have helped to shape me into who I am.

Sometimes I feel like I don’t have my own identity but am instead a compilation of all the others that I have talked with and who have shared their stories with me.

I sometimes feel like an empty shell that is filled up with the nectar of other people’s lives.

I like doing this because it feels rich and lovely like holding a favorite, old book, battered with love in your hands. But at the same time I am tired of being a holding tank. I want to live life too. I want to have stories and wisdom to share with others, to fill them up and to leave a snapshot of myself behind when I go.

Near the end of the movie Benjamin talks about living a life you will be proud of and having the strength to start over again if you haven’t done that. I can do that.

1 comment:

Julie said...

OMGoodness. if nothing else, you can certainly look back and be proud of your writing ability. you are extremely eloquent. i will re-read this post several times. bravo!
julie