4.22.2009

development

My boyfriend says that to be in youth ministry should mean that you are an educational professional. So if someone outside of the home is with the kids; teaching them and helping them develop, (whether at church or at school), it would seem to me that it’s even more important for the parents to be professional educators. Even if they do not choose to homeschool their children.

I’ve learned a lot about childhood development this semester through Erick Erikson, my classes, Raising Self-Reliant Children in a Self-Indulgent World and just the observance of my youth group kids. I don’t remember much of my childhood but it amazes me how much of what happens when you are young will affect you for the rest of your life. I am excited to learn more about this area of developmental psychology… I’ve spent years studying the male/female relationship but I think its time to move on to parent-educator/child relationships. It’s a very scary thing because so much can go wrong but it also holds so much potential for good…

No comments: