8.03.2008

alive... but a little sickly

Tonight we were in a grocery store and I was coming down an isle and saw my mom drop a tub of butter. Her arms were full of other things but she still leaned down to retrieve the butter. Before she could get far in her attempts the young man in line behind her quickly stooped down, grabbed the butter and handed it to her. I was quite struck by this little act of kindness and courtesy… I believe it use to be called chivalry if a man did something for a lady. This little scene will probably be burned in my mind for a long while… He didn't know my mom, he wasn't trying to impress anyone, he was just being a gentleman. I was pretty impressed.

People say chivalry is dead (mostly the feminists -- who ironically where the ones that put it to death…) but I disagree! Chivalry is NOT dead, it is merely sick. And I think it’s up to us girls that still want it around to nurse it back to health. The healing balm, (or one of them?) is to start expecting more from guys! They are not mindless, knuckle dragging video-game addicts… but they will be if that’s how you treat them. Everyone wants standards to live up to but if there are no standards then where can guys really be men? *Am reminded of Wild at Heart by John Eldredge*

No matter how many of chivalry’s graves walk by you when you’re struggling to open a door or to carry a load somewhere, chivalry is not dead. I saw proof tonight.

No comments: