8.20.2008

grow up

Today in class one of my wonderful professors was telling a silly story about his wife. He said that they were married when he was 19 and she was 18. He jokingly said that the first two years of marriage were great but when she turned 20 she suddenly grew an opinion. At first we all laughed because we knew he was being silly but then I thought about it a little more…
When I turned 20 I slowly began to realize and become aware of more things and I dare say that I formed many opinions that I had never had before. I am by no means a “grown up” at 20 but I like to think that I am closer than I was at 18.

Frustration with college/high school dating…

So here’s the thing; people meet… they date… they decide they want to get married… when they are freshmen in college. How dumb is that? Really. It’s not the fact that they may be immature, financially unstable or whatever that gets to me (though those factors contribute). It’s the fact that at 18, 19, even 20; you are not who you will be. You will change, morph and reemerge as someone not completely different, but significantly changed. Especially as you go through college, travel experiences and the ups and downs of meeting new people and forming attachments.
Why do people think that they, and others, will be the same forever? We all change, each day. One day you may think that eating meat is fine; the next day you may read a book that changes your life and you choose to be a vegetarian, (true story of one of my friends). Someone you knew long ago may have been a terrible person who lied to you, stabbed you in the back and then spread rumors about you; but three years later, they may have changed their ways because of this or that.

If we forget to look at people as ever changing persons then I think we’ll be left behind holding on to a lot of hurts, prejudices and assumptions.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

true dat...

I can think of a couple examples myself...