2.28.2009

growing up

I was talking with an old friend tonight (who used to go to Ozark) about the differences between our schools. She brought up the interesting observance that the people at her secular school actually act much more grown up than the people here at Ozark. We've always joked that Ozark is just like jr. high and high school but its really not that funny... because it's true.

Here is where I've begun to question if OCC actually fosters this continuation of childhood without even knowing it.

We have curfews, rules about what clothing we can wear in class (A friend of mine is not allowed to wear his kilt on campus because it is "immodest". It's a cultural expression and its riduculous to tell him he cannot wear it.), we are fed at specific times each day, we are required to attend chapel, we have dorm PARENTS, required small groups, one friend was made to take down her Christmas decorations because the holiday is over and the list goes on and on...

I completely understand the need for rules but are these rules prolonging a childhood for people in their 20's who need to learn to grow up? I understand that Ozark wants to uphold standards but if people aren't given the opportunity to grow - then they won't.

To promote change we need not embrace a rebellious attitude but instead take a look at ourselves. I am the ONLY person that I can change...

3 comments:

Karl said...

To add to this.. http://theresurgence.com/Discipleship_and_Training

PS. Thanks for the support of my "cultural expression" :)

jessie said...

I agree with most of what he has to say. However, I do think that Bible college might have it's place but to be here for 4-7 years... thats riduculous. Unless you are learning to be fluent in Greek or Hebrew, do we really need to be here that long?

Karl said...

Seriously, I don't think so. I'd actually been thinking a lot about this the past few semesters, but knew most would push off what I say as someone in a slump, and not mature enough to deal with it. So when I saw this guy, from the Resurgence, saying it...I was like "Finally!" I really think at most, a 2 year program, with intensive Scripture, Apologetics, and Philosophy. Then, send us to get secular degrees.