6.26.2008

give him honor

The Bible says to honor God in all things. I am sure I am not the first person to be like "umm... okay, sure. But how???" So I was thinking about it the other day on my way to work and it suddenly dawned on me. I have my job only because I chose to honor God.

Back it up - When I first filled out an application for Wal-Mart I left all days open and free to be scheduled to work except Sunday. I mainly did this out of habit. You see, when I came back from school I had some ideas about church and maybe not needing to go every Sunday, I mean, if I needed to work, then I needed to work, right? Wrong...

So whether it was out of habit or from the fact that I knew my parents would flip if I went to work and skipped church, I marked Sundays as the only day I could not work.

Two weeks later... I get a call from the Wal-Mart Pharmacy. The first thing they say when offering me a job. "We thought you would be great to work here because your application said no Sundays and the pharmacy isn't open Sundays!"

Somehow I feel like that tiny decision to honor God and choose church over work enabled me to get that job. I didn't even do it with much conviction at the time but God is amazing and still blessed me. I am not saying that people who work on Sunday are terrible people, I believe that we are not actually called to go to church on Sundays but we ARE called to continue fellowship with other Christians (do not foresake the gathering together...) and to take a day of rest. If some people choose to do that on another day then I think it's okay, but only if it's done with the right motivations.

No comments: