11.20.2008

humanity: an hors d'oeuvre

I whine and complain about people but you know what, in the end I really do like them. Being here at school I’ve met some very interesting people. Actually, the fact is that I meet interesting people all over the place. Mostly I just love to know their stories…

Rebecca- We have the sweetest lady here at school. She’s caught between being young and looking old. It’s a rough sort of old, the kind that tells you life has been on the harder side. But her spirit has not wrinkled; you can tell by her eyes. She always has a smile and a quiet hello for anyone who is interested enough to catch her eye as they walk by. She and I have never talked over ten minutes at one time but the thought of her makes me smile and appreciate her quiet service day after day cleaning our bathrooms.

Hers is just one story that I like to think about… She got married this past spring to our security guard here at school. They are lovely together. I wish I knew her better.

I could spend my life sitting and listening to people tell me why they are who they are. The best part is, they tell so much of it without using words... and they don't even know!

No comments: